KIMURA, FukunariAs of Mar 2021
Professor, Keio University and Chief Economist, ERIA
- 1991 Ph.D. (Economics), Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1990 MS (Economics), Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1982 Bachelor of Laws, Faculty of Law (Political Science Course), University of Tokyo
- 2015 - 2017 Dean, Graduate School of Economics, Keio University
- 2012 - 2014 Representative Director, Tokyo Center for Economic Research
- 2010 - 2012 President, Japan Society of International Economics
- 2008 - Chief Economist, Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia
- 2000 - Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University
- 1994 - 2000 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University
- 1991 - 1994 Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, State University of New York at Albany
- 1982 - 1986 Researcher, International Development Center of Japan
Journal Articles and Papers
- "The Impact of COVID-19 and the US-China Confrontation on East Asian Production Networks." Seoul Journal of Economics, 34(1), 2021: 27-41.
- "Pandemic (COVID-19) Policy, Regional Cooperation and the Emerging Global Production Network." Asian Economic Journal, 34(1), 2020: 3-27 (with S.M. Thangavelu, D. Narjoko, and C. Findlay).
- "Production Networks and Unbundling: Reformulating the Conceptual Framework in Theory, Empirics, and Policy Discussion." Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance, 16(1), 2020: 1-16.
- "Defending the Rule-based Trading Regime: The Multilateral Trading System at Risk and Required Responses." Asian Economic Papers, 18(3), 2019: 78-87.
- "Are Production Networks Passé? Not Yet." Asian Economic Papers, 17(3), 2018: 86-107 (with A. Obashi).
- "Measuring the Usage of Preferential Tariffs in the World." Review of World Economics, 154(4,) 2018: 705-723 (with K. Hayakawa and N. Laksanapanyakul).
- "Value Chain Connectivity in Indonesia: The Evolution of Unbundlings." Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 54(2), 2018: 165-192 (with L. Chen).
- "Unbundling Regimes and Development Strategies in ASEAN: Old Issues and New Challenges." Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, 35(1), 2018: 13-21.
- "Industrialization and Poverty Reduction in East Asia: Internal Labor Movements Matter." Journal of Asian Economics, 48, 2017: 23-37 (with M. S. Chang).
- "Deepening and Widening of Production Networks in ASEAN." Asian Economic Papers, 16(1), 2017: 1-27 (with A. Obashi).
- "The Role of China, Japan, and Korea in Machinery Production Networks." International Economic Journal, 30(2), 2016: 169-190 (with A. Obashi).
- "Trade Creating Effects of Regional Trade Agreements: Tariff Reduction versus Non-tariff Barrier Removal." Review of Development Economics, 20(1), 2016: 317-326 (with K. Hayakawa and T. Ito).
Academic Association Affiliations
- The Japan Society of International Economics (Vice President (2008-2010)) (President (2010-2012))
- Japanese Economic Association
- 2015 The 10th Kojima Kiyoshi Prize Award, Japan Society of International Economics.
- 1997 First Order of King Hussain Decoration of Distinguished Service to the Country, The Hashimite Kingdom of Jordan
Research Projects & Papers
Research Project » 2021FiscalYear » Asia-Pacific
Fukunari KIMURA, Professor, Keio University & Chief Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
Our goal is to provide a platform for discussion on the future of the free trade system in light of the ever-changing international environment caused by circumstances such as the COVID-19 pandemic. As the U.S.-China trade war, progress in the digital economy, and other aspects that have a strong impact on the overseas business development of multinational corporations are evolving at a rapid pace, our symposium also takes into account the latest information relevant for business activities.